10 Most Common Flaws Found During Home Inspections
Updated: Oct 9, 2020
In a study of more than 50,000 residents, here are the top 10 defects found during home inspections. Home owners can get ahead of these issues by fixing them prior to listing their home for sale! Sellers, the less issues that come up in your home inspection, the smoother the sale. It takes away negotiating power from buyers & helps you get top dollar for your home.
This post contains affiliate marketing links.
1. In 54.9% of reports, the doors needed adjusting. You can purchase this door adjustment tool to remedy the problem. E-Z Shim EZ HS350BP 3.5" Hinge Shim (18 Pack), 18-(Pack), White
2. In 54.8% of reports, faucets and shower heads needed servicing. Clean and test all faucets & shower heads in the home. If you find some of them are not working properly, consider replacing them.
3. In 54.5% of reports, exterior caulking/sealant was missing. Refresh your exterior sealant caulk with Flex Shot Rubber Adhesive Sealant Caulk, 8-oz, Clear (2 Pack)
4. In 53.7% of reports, inspectors found problems with outlets or light switches. Go around your house and test each outlet and light switch. Fix and/or replace the ones that are not working. This Light Switch is very inexpensive and so are these Outlets! Make sure you use GFCI outlets in wet and exterior areas. See #5 on this list.
5. In 48% of reports, there was no circuit breaker (GFCI) protection. You can remedy this by installing GFCI receptacles it wet and exterior areas of the home. The NEC requires GFCIs on all exterior and bathroom outlets. GFCIs are also required on all outlets serving kitchen countertops. In laundry rooms and utility rooms, GFCIs should be installed on outlets within six feet of sinks, washing machines, and water heaters.
You can purchase GFCI receptacles here
6. In 45.1% of reports, there were missing or defective smoke alarms. This X-Sense Smoke Detector Alarm is not hardwired and super easy to install!
7. In 45% of reports, there were cosmetic sheetrock cracks or nail pops. Use this drywall patch wall mending agent to fill any holes and cracks in your home.
8. In 40.5 of reports, there were fixture and/or bulb problems. Go around your house testing every light fixture and fan. Replace burnt out bulbs or defective fixtures.
9. In 33.9% of reports, interior caulking, sealer, and grout are missing. Freshen up your interior crevices with this GE Sealants & Adhesives 281 Advanced Silicone 2 Kitchen & Bath Sealant
10. In 33.9% of reports, there are electrical service panel problems. Contact a local electrician to come check out and service any issues prior to listing! If your panel is working properly but is not labeled correctly, be sure to update your labels prior to listing. Klein Tools sells this directory: Wire Markers-Household Electric Panel w/Directory Klein Tools 56255